Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Beetlejuice Costume

DIY Beetlejuice Costume 
Thrift store time!
I couldn't find a black and white striped jacket and buying it online was way too expensive for a costume I MIGHT wear twice.  So I looked and looked for just a white jacket which is somehow hard to find. I happened to try on other clothes  at Goodwill and in the dressing room the white jacket was waiting for me, score!
  • White Jacket 
  • Black electrical tape (2pk at Dollar Tree & I went through 3 rolls so buy 2 packs)
  • Scissors 
The jacket is a little large but when putting on the tape it makes it a tad but smaller and I ended up sewing the button to wear it tightened more. 
So looking at the jacket the arms are striped horizontal and the torso is vertical.
At first I striped a whole arm horizontal and then when I tried it on it scrunched up on my arm and also tightened too much. So its up to you if you want to make the original. I taped the other side of the jacket vertically and decided to go with that one. I already took the horizontal pictures so here they are. 
 Hold down the material so when laying down the tape it doesn't scrunch up. Start the tape on the inner seem on the jacket so it looks smooth. The electrical tape stuck well to the material and the lines looked seamless. 
I wanted a wider black line and made sure the white line was the same size. I laid two pieces of tape side by side to make the line thicker. I bought pants online and wanted to match the lines with them. I made the jacket before buying the pants but the picture looked similar. 
I ordered these pants through Amazon and the stripes look about 1-1 1/2 inch wide. $10 with Amazon prime and the reviews say they are not see-through (we'll see).
All the way up to the shoulder. 
Let the tape run over the shoulder seem, cut it later after making sure the vertical lines lay well. 
One side vertical and the other horizontal 
 So I started over on the horizontal arm and made it vertical.
Lay out the tape on the shoulder where some tape overlaps to the back of the shoulder. When working on the back attach the tape to the same overlapping tape to make the transition smooth from front to back.
Make sure to overlap the tap to the inside of the jacket at the bottom so it stays on. 
For the lapel I wanted to start with black so it popped more and it made the edges more pointy.
For the collar I used short pieces of tape and started inside the collar and overlapped on the backside, cutting away the excess later.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Front Door Wreath

Front Door Wreath Project 
  • Metal wreath frame (Dollar Tree)
  • 1 Roll of burlap (2 if you need to cover the whole frame)(Dollar Tree)
  • 3-6 Bouquets of fake flowers
  • Glue gun/glue sticks

I found lots of flowers at Dollar Tree, here are some but I didn't use all that are pictured.
I made 3 trips to get the color combinations right.
I made 2 wreaths and added purple and blue flowers to the yellows and whites I had.
The burlap did not wrap all the way around but I used this to my advantage by 
placing the flowers in that area so it would be covered up.
(I really didn't want to make another trip to Dollar Tree)
 I bought a bunch of different flowers but I returned some and added blues and purples.
After hot gluing down the burlap, add the flowers with some leaves behind them.

Friday, September 9, 2016

DIY Popsicle Hexagon Shelf

DIY Popsicle Shelf
  • Popsicles - I used 100 ct from Dollar Tree to make 1 shelf (I suggest more)
  • Wood glue or Elmer's glue
  • Paint - I used gold spray paint
I made an outline on paper to make sure the shape turned out right.
50 ct stack down 
 Let the glue dry and then spray paint
 Make sure to flip and spray both sides
 After hanging mine up it I realized it needed more layers
or something smaller to sit on the shelf.
 Ill be making more shelves to go with the one
and adding more layers. This shelf had 90 Popsicle sticks - 15 sticks wide.
I got this original idea here.